A wide variety of oracle database Articles for developers, administrators, and architects are being presented here which includes oracle database backup and recovery, types of backups, oracle database key data structures, oracle database backup and recovery using rman, oracle performance tuning, application performance tuning, sql tuning and many more.
Mostly theses article belongs to oracle database 10g and oracle database 11g. In these articles you will be learn important features step by step.
Backup & Recovery
Oracle database backup and recovery plays a vital role in oracle database administration. The purpose of a backup and recovery is to protect the database against data loss and reconstruct the database after data loss.
- Introduction to Oracle Backup and Recovery
- What is Oracle Backup and its Different Types
- Oracle Backup and Recovery Key data structures
Recovery manager (RMAN) is a command line utility used to perform backup and recovery. RMAN provide greater ease of management and administration of the backup and recovery operations. RMAN backup clause backup database files, archive logs and other oracle database files. RMAN backup performa backups without shutting down the database.
- What is rman backup
- RMAN Components
- RMAN Repository
- RMAN Catalog
- Start and Connect to RMAN
- Monitoring RMAN Through V$ Views
- RMAN and Scripting and Logfile
- Backup and recovery operations using RMAN (Part-2)
The RMAN backup and recovery environment is preconfigured for each target database. The RMAN configuration is persistent and applies to all subsequent operations on target database, even if you exit and restart RMAN.
- Configure RMAN
- Configure RMAN Channel
- Configure RMAN Control File Autobackup
- Configure RMAN Retention Policy
- Configure RMAN Backup Compression
- Configure RMAN Tablespace Exclusion
The primary purpose of RMAN backups is to protect your data. If a media failure or disaster occurs, then you can restore your backups and recover lost changes.
- Introduction to RMAN Backup
- RMAN Backup Set
- RMAN Image Copy
- RMAN Backup Format
- RMAN Backup TAG
- RMAN Compress Backup
- RMAN Database Backup
- RMAN Datafile Backup
- RMAN Tablespace Backup
- RMAN Archivelog Backup
- RMAN Controlfile Backup
- RMAN spfile Backup
- RMAN Incremental Backup
- RMAN Incremental Backup Block Change Tracking
RMAN Restore & Recover
Oracle RMAN Recovery involves two parts: restoring a physical backup and then performing recovery with the changes made to the database since the last backup. A media recovery is executed on the user's command, usually in response to media failure. In media recovery, online or archived redo logs can be used to make a restored backup current or to update it to a specific point in time.
Media recovery can restore the whole database, a tablespace or a datafile and recover them to a specified time. Whenever redo logs are used or a database is recovered to some non-current time, media recovery is being performed.
Use the RESTORE and RECOVER commands for RMAN restore and recovery of physical database files.
- Determining Which Database Files to Restore or Recover
- Restore and Recovery Database Files With RMAN
- Restore..Preview Backups
- Validate Backup
- Restore ArchiveLogs
- Restore and Recover Oracle Database
- Restore Server Parameter File (SPFILE)
- Restore Control File
- Recover Datafiles and Tablespaces
- Recover Whole Database
RMAN DUPLICATE command creates duplicate database or clone from backups of the target database while retaining the original target database.
RMAN command list mostly used during the rman backup and recovery operations. These rman commands can be executed at RMAN prompt, or within a RUN block
- RMAN REPORT command
- RMAN LIST command
- RMAN Command Reference
- RMAN CONFIGURE Command
- RMAN Connect Command
- RMAN SHOW Command
- RMAN BACKUP Command
- RMAN RECOVER (Block Recovery) Command
Tutorials How to Recover Oracle Database
Commonly performed operations, starting and exiting RMAN, configure RMAN environment, backup restore and recovery operations, and reporting with RMAN.
- How to Schedule Archive Logs backup using enterprise manager?
- How to Schedule whole database backup Level-1 using enterprise manager?
- How to Schedule whole database backup Level-0 using enterprise manager?
- How to relocate archive-log backups to different disk location?
- How to check Corruption in Database datafile
- How to Recover Oracle Datafile or Tablespce
- How to find Oracle Database DBID
- How to Recover Database without Backup if all control files are lost
Oracle Flashback provides an additional layer of data protection. You can use flashback features to view past states of data and rewind your database without restoring backups or performing point-in-time recovery.
- Introduction to Oracle FlashBack
- Oracle Flashback Database
- Oracle Restore Point
- Oracle Flashback Table
- Oracle Flashback Drop
- Oracle Flashback Query
Oracle Performance Tuning
The main responsibility of a DBA is to ensure that the Oracle database is tuned properly (effective utilization of resources in term of database speed and cost). The Oracle database is tunable and allows the database to be monitored and adjusted to increase its performance.
There are many reasons when oracle database tuning is required. User are waiting for database response is a big indication that tuning is required.